Critiques — What We Offer
If you’re fairly new to the writing business or trying out a different genre, you may wonder whether you’re doing it right. Or maybe you have a story that you feel is almost — but not quite — working, and you’re not sure why. What’s a writer needing a professional opinion and guidance to do? Get a professional critique, of course!
Two-for-One Critiques are available from Oct. 1–June 15. The fee of $45 gets one story critiqued by two professional members of our faculty (see page limits at the bottom of this page).
A critique will give you a thorough review of the strengths and weaknesses of your writing, offer suggestions for improvement, and help you identify potential markets.
It couldn’t be easier to submit your payment through PayPal. Just select what you are purchasing from the dropdown menu and follow the prompts. Note: you can pay via PayPal or with a credit or debit card.
If mailing a check or money order, make it payable to Write2Ignite. Please send the check to the address that will be given to you after you email your material to Brenda Covert.
All manuscripts should be 12-pt, Times New Roman, double-spaced (unless otherwise noted), with one-inch margins. Include your name, the title of your piece, and the page number on each of your manuscript’s pages. (See page limit below.)
Please bring a copy of your material to the conference appointment if you are getting a conference critique.
Type of Manuscript
- Young adult/middle grade novel—One-page query or synopsis (single-spaced) and the first pages of the manuscript (double-spaced). Ten pages total.
- Nonfiction book—Chapter outline, proposal and/or query letter (single-spaced) and the first pages of the manuscript (double-spaced). Ten pages total.
- Picture book—Complete manuscript up to 1,000 words
- Early reader/chapter book—First chapters up to 10 pages
- Nonfiction article—1,200 word limit
- Short story—1,200 word limit
- Poetry—5 poems equal 1 critique; 40-line limit for each poem
- Devotional—500-word limit each; up to four devotionals per critique
- Curriculum—A table of contents and 2–5 chapters; up to 10 pages
- Activity book/pages—Up to 10 pages