Ever feel like Sisyphos? In Greek mythology, the gods punished Sisyphos for his greed and deceit by assigning an impossible task. He had to roll a huge boulder up a hill, only to have it roll back down when it reached near the top. And he had to do it for eternity.
Gaining traction for social media author pages often feels like a Sisyphean ordeal. Just when we think we’ve reached our goal—whether deciphering Facebook algorithms or reaching a new level of followers—the standards change. The proverbial boulder rolls back down the hill and we have to start again.
For example, first we needed engaging posts. Then we were told the posts needed images. Now the experts tell us static images are not enough. Videos are the way to engage our followers.
Social videos can do more than entertain. They can educate, tell a story, promote an event, highlight a testimonial, or provide a summary of your publications.
Still, many of us lack the time, money, or technical know-how to create engaging videos week after week, myself included. But I recently discovered Lumen5, a free app (there’s also a paid version with additional features) that enables me to create video stories with ease from my blog posts.
The first week I tried Lumen5, my Facebook engagement statistics achieved a significant increase. Weekly reach jumped 288%–from 861 to 3.35K. By the 3rd week, my weekly reach jumped to 5.8K. People engaged increased 164%, from 100 to 264 and then to 645. Even my Page “likes” increased. People I did not know shared the post and then became followers. All in the first 3 weeks! And that trend continued with subsequent video posts.
Using Lumen5 is easy, even for a non-techy like me:
- I uploaded my blog link (or you can copy and paste your content from Word):
- Select a format by clicking on one of the three options. I chose landscape…
- …And click on a theme:
- Then I scrolled through the content and clicked on the significant sentences I wanted included in the video. Each time you click on a new sentence, it’s automatically paired with a new suggested visual slide.
- I went back and swapped out some of the photos for ones that were a better match. Click on Media and choose a different suggested image or use the search feature for more suggestions. Or upload your own photo.
- You can also edit the text, reposition the text on the image, and highlight particular words for emphasis:
- Then choose music to accompany your video. I chose a calm selection to fit my content.
- Finally, preview your video.
- You can always go back to edit it further before you select Finish.
Here’s the final result:
Give it a try! Then share a link to your results in the comments!
(Note: this post first appeared on Blogging Bistro.)
8 thoughts on “Easy Video Tool for Social Media”
I’m going to try it.
Can’t find it for my Android or my laptop. Shucks!
Jean – I use both a laptop and an Android phone, and was able to download it for both.
Did you Google: Lumen5 ?
When it comes up on my phone, it offers the option of paid membership or “Sign up for free.”
This was a great post, Ava. Thanks for sharing. I’m going to try it!
So glad, Carol.
Let me know what happens!
It’s easy to use. My blog posts are not heavy with photos, so I probably won’t use it all the time. But I’m enjoying it.
Also, I write for children, so I had to locate a lot of phots myself. But I just saved them to my laptop. I also figured out how to transfer all of my WordPress media to Lumen5. That gave me lots of photos to work with.
Thanks for the info!
Love this! I will try it this weekend! Thanks.
Let us know your results!