If you’re fairly new to the writing business or trying out a different genre, you may wonder whether you’re doing it right. Or maybe you have a story that you feel is almost—but not quite—working, and you’re not sure why. What’s a writer needing a professional opinion and guidance to do? Get a professional critique, of course!
We at Write2Ignite offer you two options, depending on the time of year:
- Two-for-One Critiques are available from October 1 to May 31. The fee of $45 gets one story critiqued by two professional members of our faculty (see page limits at the bottom of this page).
- Our Conference Critiques are available from June 1 to the beginning of September. (See “send by” dates in the chart below.) These are only for registered conferees and include a face-to-face fifteen-minute meeting at the Write2Ignite conference with a pro you chose to critique your work (see page limits at the bottom of this page). The fee is $35 per manuscript.
Each critique will give you a thorough review of the strengths and weaknesses of your writing, offer suggestions for improvement, and help you identify potential markets.
A key is included below the following chart to help you interpret abbreviations in the chart.
Write2Ignite 2018: Conference Critiques Availability
|Critique Faculty||#||YA||MG||NFB||ERC||PB||SS||NFA||P||D||C||A||Send by|
# = Number of submissions a faculty member will critique
YA = Young adult novel
MG = Middle grade novel
NFB = Nonfiction book
ERC = Early reader/chapter book
PB = Picture book
SS = Short story
NFA = Nonfiction article
P = Poetry
D = Devotional
C = Curriculum
A = Activity book/pages
Manuscript Submission Procedure
Submit a manuscript for critique in any of the categories listed at the end of this post. Email your manuscript to our critique facilitator, Brenda Covert, at firstname.lastname@example.org, and place “W2I CRITIQUE ENTRY” in the subject line. You’ll receive a written one-page critique or comments written on your pages. Include in the email text your name, email address, title, and category. You may submit as many manuscripts as you wish, as long as you pay the fee for each one.
To pay with PayPal, please use the button on the REGISTRATION PAGE.
Check or Money Order:
If mailing a check or money order, make it payable to Write2Ignite. Please send the check to the address that will be given to you after you email your material to Brenda Covert.
Type all manuscripts in double-spaced, 12-pt. font, standard manuscript format. Include your name, the title of your piece, and the page number on each of your manuscript’s pages. (See page limit below.)
Please bring a copy of your material to the conference!
Type of Manuscript
- Young adult novel—Submit book proposals for teens/young adults: cover letter to editor, chapter outline/synopsis, and the first pages of the manuscript, up to 10 pages total
- Middle grade novel—Book proposals for children: cover letter to editor, chapter outline/synopsis, and the first pages of the manuscript, up to 10 pages total
- Nonfiction book—Book proposals for children: cover letter to editor, chapter outline/synopsis, and the first pages of the manuscript up to 10 pages total
- Picture book—Complete manuscript up to 1,000 words
- Early reader/chapter book—First chapters up to 10 pages
- Nonfiction article—1,200 word limit
- Short story—1,200 word limit
- Poetry—5 poems equal 1 critique; 40-line limit for each poem
- Devotional—500-word limit each; up to 4 devotionals per paid critique
- Curriculum—A table of contents and 2–5 chapters; up to 10 pages
- Activity book/pages—Up to 10 pages
Image by jppi